Trump’s Fox Legal Hero Says Syria Attack Illegal & Unconstitutional

7:00am

The so-called great legal mind Trump quoted in his tweet about Obama wiretapping him now says the Trump attack on Syria was illegal and unconstitutional, and of course Trump never says a word about it, he just ignores it. He went to the O’Reilly crisis management school, quote them as a great source if they say something good about you, ignore them when they say something bad.

Former Judge Andrew P. Napolitano write this on foxnews.com Wednesday:

Last week, as Holy Week was approaching, the United States launched 59 cruise missiles at a Syrian airfield.

Trump argued that the gas could only have been deployed intentionally by the Syrian government on its own people and that that behavior was so repellant, so contrary to civilized moral norms, so disruptive to the world order as to constitute a national security threat to the United States — hence his use of force. Was his action legal?

Syria, along with the United States, is a signatory to the United Nations Charter. The U.N. Charter is a treaty signed by President Harry Truman and ratified by the U.S. Senate. Under the Constitution, treaties are the supreme law of the land, alongside the Constitution, and the federal government has a moral and legal obligation to be bound by them.

The U.N. Charter limits member nations use of military force to defensive responses to actual attacks, pre-emptive strikes prior to nearly certain attacks and correctives pursuant to U.N. consent or pursuant to another treaty obligating military force to help an ally.

Under this international law, military force must be a last resort, used only when necessary to fight back or to prevent an imminent attack. It also must be proportional to the harm it seeks to eradicate and be likely to produce the result it seeks. Anything short of this violates international law, to which the U.S. is bound by numerous treaties.

Syria is not a threat to the U.S., nor is it likely to become one. Nor is the argument that we needed to send a message to Syria lest it use poison gas on the U.S. a valid legal argument or a realistic political one. Were this subjective fear a valid legal basis for the use of military force, the president could send missiles anytime and anywhere at anyone or anything with legal impunity.

The president’s revulsion at the sight of children suffering from the effects of poison gas is an emotional reaction — a very human and utterly normal one. Yet it in no way legally justifies an attack on a sovereign nation.

In addition to various treaties, the president is subject, of course, to the Constitution, which provides that only Congress can declare war. Yet Congress gave the president a small window in which to use military force on his own in the War Powers Resolution of 1973.

That law was written in the midst of President Richard Nixon’s undeclared war in Cambodia to limit the president’s emergency use of military force absent a declaration of war from Congress to defensive strikes, pre-emptive strikes and treaty obligations.

Did Trump have all the intelligence he needed in front of him before he attacked Syria? Apparently not. Did he use proportional force defensively or pre-emptively to prevent harm to the U.S.? Clearly not.

Can he legally use military force to punish or to teach a lesson to another sovereign state that poses no threat to the U.S.? Absolutely not, or there will be no end to government violence.


Former Trump Campaign Manager Registers As A Foreign Agent

President Donald Trump’s former campaign manager Paul Manafort will register with the Department of Justice as a foreign agent, according to reports by The Associated Press and NBC News.
Manafort led lobbying efforts on behalf of the European Centre for a Modern Ukraine, a front group for former Ukrainian President Viktor Yanukovych, in the United States from 2010 to 2014.

The AP verified on Wednesday that Manafort received at least $1.2 million of a suspected $12.7 million in off-the-books payments from Yanukovych’s political party while the Russia-allied leader was still in power.

Manafort will be the second top Trump aide to retroactively register as a foreign agent. After Lt. Gen. Michael Flynn resigned as Trump’s national security adviser, he acknowledged that he had worked as an agent of the Turkish government to pressure the U.S. to extradite exiled cleric Fetullah Gulen, whom the Turkish government blames for a failed coup in 2016.

When he said it was “time to drain the swamp in Washington, D.C.,” Trump attacked his opponent, Democratic presidential nominee Hillary Clinton, for taking “massive sums of money from registered foreign lobbyists.” He further stated that he would ban members of his administration from becoming foreign agents and ban foreign lobbyist contributions.

The Washington Post reported Tuesday that the FBI had sought and obtained a warrant from a Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Court to monitor Carter Page, another former Trump campaign adviser, to investigate whether he was acting as a foreign intelligence asset of the Russian government.

It is ironic that two members of Trump’s campaign, including his longest-serving campaign manager and his closest national security adviser, have since turned out to be foreign agents, while another is suspected of being a foreign intelligence asset.

And O’Reilly does not say a word about any of it, probably because he is on a forced two week vacation that he may never come back from.


 

Fox News Host Admits He Has A Bias Against Democrats

11:00am

And of course Bill O’Reilly and Bernie Goldberg have not said a word about it, even though they both do a weekly media bias segment on the O’Reilly Factor. A segment where they claim to be non-partisan Independent who judge the media fairly, then they spend the entire segment crying about so-called liberal media bias, while almost never talking about conservative media bias at Fox News.

It’s actually laughable, you have two conservatives (and no liberals) doing what they claim is a non-partisan media bias segment, where the two conservatives give their biased opinion of what they see as liberal bias, when in reality to them any reporting that does not have a right-wing bias is liberal bias to them. It’s what they see, not reality. And they never talk about right-wing bias at Fox or any other conservative news sources. In fact, O’Reilly even denies there is right-wing bias at Fox, which is just ridiculous.

So Stuart Varney basically admitted he has a bias for Trump and against Obama when the bad jobs report came out for March. And then after admitting he has a bias, he still refused to blame Trump for the bad jobs report, even though they blamed Obama when it was not great, including Trump, who has been silent, but when the February report came out and it was pretty good, Trump took credit for it, even though he had nothing to do with it because it was only a month after Obama left office.

Fox Business host Stuart Varney admitted on air to a clear double standard on how he and Fox cover the monthly jobs report for presidents of different political parties. Less than an hour after a disappointing jobs report was released by the Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS), Varney revealed that if a similarly weak report had been published under President Barack Obama, he would have castigated the president as a failure — something he admittedly wouldn’t do to President Donald Trump.

On April 7, the BLS reported that the economy added just 98,000 jobs in March while the unemployment dropped slightly to 4.5 percent. The report also revised down the number of jobs created in January and February by 38,000. Though the improved unemployment rate is the lowest in 10 years, the number of new jobs created was far lower than the 175,000 jobs economists expected for the month.

Less than an hour after the report was announced, Varney called it a very weak jobs report but refused to lay blame on Trump. Varney admitted that, had this report come out during the Obama administration, “we would be all over them for the failure of the president’s economic policy.”

Varney repeatedly downplayed positive economic indicators during the Obama administration. Just one year ago, he tried to spin the March 2016 jobs report by questioning the quality of the 215,000 new jobs created. Months earlier, he had claimed that 292,000 new jobs created in December 2015 were modest by historical standards, even though it was one of the strongest reports of the entire year and showed nearly three times the number of jobs shown in the March 2017 report.

Varney’s momentary break of character shines a light on his network’s fair and balanced charade, but the spectacle has been on full display since Trump took office. Fox News praised a solid January jobs report as fantastic news, and wrongly credited Trump for creating jobs that actually predated his inauguration.

A month later, Fox personalities, including Varney, lauded a solid February jobs report as proof that Trump is simply winning everywhere and held it up as evidence of the beginnings, of a potential Trump Economic Era.

The rest of Fox News reported that the same jobs report Varney described as weak would stand as part of the most successful day of Trump’s presidency.

Partial transcript:

STUART VARNEY (HOST): Look, if we’d have had 98,000 new jobs in any month during the Obama administration, we would be all over them.

ASHLEY WEBSTER: Yes.

VARNEY: Failure of the president. Failure of the president’s economic policy. Okay? Why shouldn’t I say that now about Mr. Trump?

JOHN LONSKI: Well go ahead.

VARNEY: No, I’m not gonna do that.

GOP Ready To Give Up And Pull The Plug On Trump’s Dying Campaign

The RNC is holding members-only call tomorrow, where it is possible that they will raise the white flag on the presidential race by cutting off Donald Trump.

Politico reported on an RNC members only call that is taking place on Wednesday:

The RNC chairman last held a nationwide conference call two weeks ago, shortly after damaging revelations emerged that Donald Trump, in 2005, had bragged about sexually assaulting women. During that call, Priebus informed members that the committee would be standing by its besieged presidential nominee, despite a flurry of rumors to the contrary.

The committee is continuing to pour resources into Trump’s presidential bid, even as his poll numbers crater and GOP strategists worry about maintaining the party’s congressional majorities.

The logical conclusion to be drawn from the timing of this call, which was described as a political update, is that Priebus is going to announce that the Republican Party is finally taking the Trump campaign off of life support and redirecting their dwindling resources toward saving endangered Republican Senators.

Priebus wouldn’t be holding a private call with RNC members only if the news was good.

The RNC has continued to fund Trump’s campaign activities even after the Access Hollywood tape was released and the GOP nominee got trounced in the final two presidential debates.

Donald Trump doesn’t have a campaign operation of his own. He is dependent on the RNC for everything from rally organization to get out the vote efforts. Trump has no data operation, no real advertising operation, and no grassroots organization.

If the RNC cuts off Trump, the Republican Party will be effectively conceding the White House to Hillary Clinton.

The Republican Party appears to be finally be getting the message that funding Trump’s campaign is a waste of time and money.


Top Hispanic Republican In Texas Says He Will Vote For Clinton

From the Texas Tribune:

A leading Hispanic Republican in Texas says he has decided to vote for Democratic presidential nominee Hillary Clinton.

Lionel Sosa, a veteran ad maker from San Antonio, told The Texas Tribune on Monday he will cast his ballot for Clinton to send a clear statement against Republican nominee Donald Trump’s candidacy.

“I want to make sure that I do everything I can to see that Trump doesn’t get elected,” said Sosa, who has worked for Ronald Reagan and George W. Bush. “I’m doing this because I don’t think he’s a good representative of the Republican Party. It’s not the Republican Party I know.”

Sosa announced in June that he was leaving the GOP over Trump, writing in a San Antonio Express-News op-ed that Trump’s divisive candidacy left him with no choice. Two months later, Sosa joined the campaign of Libertarian nominee Gary Johnson, though Sosa said Monday that move did not amount to a strong enough rebuke of Trump.

“If I vote for Gary Johnson, it’s not enough of a statement,” said Sosa, who had been helping Johnson on a volunteer basis. “I must make a statement that Donald Trump cannot win.”